miércoles, 26 de diciembre de 2007

Cielo ligeramente nublado



Atonement
Maybe I should start by saying the credits haven't stopped rolling and that I'm still crying. Or maybe I should start by saying this has been my favorite movie of 2007.

I've only read half the book, but I can say that that first part was adapted in a wonderful way - it is incredibly faithful to it, and yet it takes the best of the book and enhances it further, for it has none of the sober and too-slow tone of the novel. The pacing becomes fast, dynamic, and it makes the movie much nicer.

It's hard to think of a film in which all the performances are as solid and awe-worthy of this: I've been admiring James McAvoy's acting style for a while (who doubtlessly steals the movie), that way of getting inside a character's skin. But I can't ignore the fantastic performances of Saoirse Ronan and Romola Garai, both acting as Briony, and even Keira Knightley gave a very good performance even if it could be considered as the weakest of the bunch. But really, all performances are good - rather for what they don't say but for what they do; that way of expressing in silence.

The plot on itself is pretty good represented; it is emotive without being melodramatic, and it is very touching - it manages to hurt, say. Just like the ending hurts, but that you expect since the beginning.

I must say that the technical side gets to overshine the actual plot at times, it was that good. This has been one of the best camera works I've ever seen - it tends to centered, quiet shots, and there's even a two minutes and a half long shot. How long it took to plan that, I can't even imagine, but it could easily be the climax of the movie. The cinematography, also, was absolutely stunning - it plays with the contrast of light-colored and illuminated shots with the darkness of the war in green and black dark tones. Simply marvelous. The music I've liked for some time, but its taken to a whole new level when together with the film.

So in short I loved it, and I guess I'll have to see it again to fully digest it. And as to the question everybody asks themselves: Do I forgive Briony? I'm not sure. She was but a child.

No hay comentarios: