domingo, 2 de septiembre de 2007

Lluvia ligera




I went to the movies with my dad and we saw Paris, je t'aime and oh wow, it was so lovely. It truly is the mark of a good director/writer when they get the audience to empathize and understand the characters when they only have about five minutes onscreen. I only wish there'd be some marking as to who was directing which part, but my wikipedia-fu is nothing but fierce so now I can say which were my favorite segments:

The best one, in my eyes, was the one directed by Tom Tykwer (director of Run Lola Run, and it all fits now), the one with Natalie Portman - it was absolutely stunning and beautiful. The second best was the one directed by Isabel Coixet, about a man torn between staying with his sick wife or running away with his mistress. It was just lovely and so well shot - it reminded me of Amelie somehow, probably because of the narrator. I laughed the hardest with the one directed by Alexander Payne, the one about a tourist from the US talking about her love for Paris. My dad must have burst something laughing, he says he sounded just the same when he was backpacking through Paris, haha. (but he was with friends and was twenty something and sent passionate and wacky love letters to my mom, so he wasn't that pathetic, I guess)

The one with Elijah Wood made me laugh in all its B-series-ness and I went OMG IS THAT GASPARD ULLIEL, IS IT? IT IS OMG, AND HE'S TELLING ANOTHER DUDE THAT HE MUST BE HIS SOUL MATE OMG OMG. lol. I liked the one-shot format in Alfonso Cuarón's segment, and the mime one was so funny. In all, I really loved this movie, to capture such a different range of emotions with such different characters was definitely a task, and now I really, really want to go to Paris again.

No hay comentarios: